April 2024 Textbook Hero - Mary Purvis

Name:
Mary Purvis

What are some of the classes you teach?
General Physics and Astronomy
How long have you been with CVTC?
About 20 years

How long have you been using low-cost and/or no-cost textbooks?
11 years for my Physics classes

What is your favorite part of using low-cost and/or no-cost textbooks? Using an OER textbook allows me to have a stable curriculum for my course. The concepts taught in first semester Physics have not changed in the last 50 years. When I used a textbook from a publisher, the scope and sequence of the book, the content, and the problem sets changed every two to three years. I was always changing my lessons to match the publishers changed content. When I switched to an OER book, I got off the textbook merry-go-round. I could spend more time contextualizing the lessons for the programs I was working with. I could spend more time inventing labs and being creative. I wasn't wasting time constantly updating lessons because the book changed. Yes, it was more work up front making the class exactly how I wanted it to be, but it was worth it in the long run.
Any estimated student cost savings from using low-cost and/or no-cost textbooks?
Through the last 11 years, we have saved students approximately $300,000. With 7 sections/year at $200/book x 11 years x 20 students/class = $308,000!

Fun fact:
My background is Polish, but I have been painting Ukrainian eggs every spring since I was a child.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

November 2023 Textbook Hero - Laurie Boettcher

June 2023 Textbook Hero - Dawn Barone

January 2024 Textbook Hero - Cathi LaFontaine